In the post-pandemic world, after getting used to being at and working from home, the fashion scales have shifted to over-indexing on comfort while still looking chic. Gone are the tightly fitting outfits of the 2010s, and in are the baggier, but bolder looks.
Reflecting this overall transformation, the dressing game for women has also undergone a few changes, one of them being the prevalence of smart casuals. The smart casual dress code women dictates a look that lies bang in the middle of strong formal wear and laidback homewear. If you are perplexed by what exactly this category encapsulates, then do not worry because today, we are taking you through the do’s and don’ts of the smart casuals trend.
What are smart casuals for women?
As the name suggests, smart casuals dance on the line between workwear and weekend wear. They are a highly versatile set of clothes that can be worn to work, to a semi-formal evening gathering, to a first date and more! They prioritize easy silhouettes without compromising on the style quotient. Think high-waisted linen trousers, solid-hued T-shirts, minimal yet layered accessories and comfortable heels. Smart casuals are not a fleeting trend, rather they include more classic or timeless fashion pieces that can be mixed and matched instead of just being worn for specific occasions.
Some smart casual tips to keep in mind.
While fashion is most definitely all about experimentation and finding out what works for you, there are certain tips that can help you curate a wardrobe full of glamorous smart casuals. Here are some of our favorites:
- Know what suits your body – There is no such thing as one body type. That is why understanding your own body type, and having an idea of what cuts and shapes suit you will help you plan and purchase smart casuals better.
- Invest in essentials – Yes! The hype about capsule wardrobes is real, and for good reason! Having a few essential, versatile pieces can help you create multiple outfits. Buying such garments is much smarter than buying clothes for specific events that you can only wear a handful of times.
To lay the foundation of your smart casual closet, consider buying things like white, black and beige t-shirts and button-downs. Fill up your shopping cart with bottoms that can be worn with a whole lot of tops. This includes a solid pair of jeans, smart trousers, flowy skirts and trendy joggers. You cannot go wrong with a sharp black dress and a well-cut blazer either.
For shoes, choose ones in shades like black and brown and make sure the style pairs with your daily routine. There is a reason white sneakers are always in demand, so it is wise to buy at least one good pair for your smart casuals wardrobe.
- Mix up chill and dressy – The core of smart casuals lies in pairing styles that are very dressy with those that are more relaxed. So, if you are choosing a structured skirt, pair it with a semi-formal jacket to lighten the look. In the same vein, a formal pantsuit can be elevated with a pair of cool sneakers.
- Do not underestimate the power of accessories – Even the plainest of looks can be amplified with the right kind of accessories. This is a key mantra in the realm of smart casual dressing. You cannot miss out on stacked bracelets, signature rings, elegant watches and eye-catching earrings. In the same way that you layer clothes, think about layering necklaces, to create a complete look.
- Add a pop of color here and there – Although smart casual looks are rooted in neutrals, a dash of color never hurts! Throw in an interesting color as a statement piece, and take your look from zero to one hundred!
- Textures and fabrics go a long way – Play around with different materials to add an extra dose of vibrance and make your outfits stand out even more.
- Wear it with confidence – You could be the most stylish person ever, but you will not look like it unless and until you carry yourself with pride! Walk tall and watch everyone take notice of you!
In conclusion, having a portion of your wardrobe dedicated to smart casuals is a great choice for any 21st-century fashionista. You do not need to spend a vast amount of money to grow your smart casual style, just begin by selecting a few pieces and watch your outfits get cooler and chicer with every new day!